Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Discussions

Most of my discussions with my friends center around the latest happenings at school and in our "other" lives, like at home or at church or wherever. However, occasionally we get into discussions of politics or theology- more serious issues. I tend to mostly just listen during these discussions, occasionally interjecting my own thoughts. These primarily lead me to think about where I myself stand. Being a teenager, I don't feel that I should have fully set opinions- I think I should be open to new ideas. That's a policy I've been trying to follow for several years. But at the moment, here's where I think I stand.
My opinions on political, theological, and moral matters seem to reflect my mixed influences. For instance, my church and my family are both leaning toward the liberal end of the spectrum. However, my school and most of my friends take a more conservative standpoint on many issues. So I find myself sitting here, more liberal than most conservatives and more conservative than most liberals. I guess you'd call me either an Independent or a moderate?
I won't put down a lot of examples, but here are a few.
I believe that abortion is murder- science proves it, as well as morals. I don't really think the war in Iraq was fully justifiable by the Five Principles of a Just War. (See Jimmy Carter's article on the subject at http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0309-02.htm) I respect President Bush, and I think that he has done some good things, although there are certain decisions that I don't agree with and/or think he could improve in. I believe in the New Testament doctrine of "Love your neighbor" and "turn the other cheek", not the Old Testament "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". Above all- and this is the policy I will NOT be shaken in- I believe that GOD IS LOVE, as it says in 1 John 4:8. (This is beside the core beliefs of Christianity- that Christ died for us and was raised from the dead, that He sent the Holy Spirit to be with us and guideus always.) Therefore, all opinions I have in future will- I hope- be based on that policy of love. (See 1 Corinthians 13)

No comments: