Monday, July 06, 2009

Simple Productivity

I've been trying to make the most of my last few weeks of freedom before I spend the rest of the summer laid up after knee realignment surgery. In order to do this most effectively, I have built on a number of tips that I pulled or adapted from Zen Habits to create a summer lifestyle that I've been thoroughly enjoying. These include:
  1. Rise by 7:30 or 8:00am. Start morning routine immediately: shower, dress, make list of top three most important tasks for the day, THEN computer time to check email and Facebook briefly, then breakfast.
  2. After breakfast, get started on whatever is the biggest/most important task of the day. Since it's been nice out, the last two or three days that's been completing the refinishing of two deck chairs. Before that, I worked on a massive cleanout and decluttering of my bedroom.
  3. Try to finish all three "most important tasks" by midafternoon, so to have the late afternoon and evening free to relax.
  4. Limit computer use to three times a day. Never use the computer before showering and getting dressed; never use it immediately before bed.
  5. Journal before bed.
  6. Start winding down and heading for bed by 11pm.
I probably won't be able to sustain most of these after I have surgery, but it's been a nice experiment that's allowed me to make the most out of these past couple of weeks.

No comments: