Thursday, May 01, 2008

Dreaming

I was thinking today about the summer ahead. Hard to resist doing so, really, it's finals time. This means that the year is over, which means that I am thoroughly interested in procrastination and what I am going to do over the summer, much more pleasant thoughts than Russian history and statistics.

One thing that being in school in Washington has done is taught me, or rather confirmed, my express dislike of fast-lane city living. The idea of spending my entire life caught in a rat race and caught in rush hour traffic is just not fun. While I know that the city has a lot to offer, especially cities like Washington, with all its free culture and beauty and nice weather, I just don't think I could handle the lifestyle. Living here and working here in the capacities that I would be likely to pursue (that is, politics/government type work) requires a lot from you that I don't think I can, or want to, give. The cost of living is outrageous, and...well, all things told, the city lifestyle just isn't for me, long term. I am unequivocally a suburbs, small town person. Nice to be a reasonable drive from a city, but I can't live in one longer term than...college between vacations.

This summer I'm getting, by and large, as far from the city as I can. I'm working at the dairy barn, going between the lab and the cows. I want to sort through the loft of costumes and props and set pieces at my high school. I want to work on sanding and staining the furniture that's been in our basement for three years. I want to hang out at the cottage and read the books that have been piling up. I suppose I also want to sell books for people to read at their cottages...or pile up. But mostly I just want to let the stresses of the year fall away...and rest, heal, and rejuvenate. It's time for this academic year to be done. Time to move forward.

No comments: