Friday, April 25, 2008

Communication

Everybody always says it's the key to every relationship, the key to basically living your life successfully. And to most extents I would agree with that.
But sometimes it's just a pain in the butt. Sometimes I wish that the people who I want to know could just read my mind and know what I think and how I mean it to be expressed so that I don't have to do the work of expressing the thought.
Because sometimes the whole "open mouth, express thoughts" thing doesn't go so well. Sometimes people react really badly to comments that are not expressed well. Heck, sometimes people don't react well to comments that ARE expressed well. It's extremely unfortunate.
I always feel like I can communicate better, more clearly and articulately, more honestly even, in writing. This is good when it comes to blogging and writing papers and letters and such...not so good in face-to-face communication. Talking to people one on one isn't usually a problem for me; talking in groups is significantly less comfortable. I don't mind public speaking sometimes, but I won't do it if I don't have to.
Maybe I should sell my cell phone, become a hermit, and communicate with the outside world through solely written or typed words.
Or maybe that'd be a bad idea because I'd probably go crazy and start talking to myself out loud.
Hey, I could finally teach all those voices in my head to sing in four-part harmony.
Current music: "Believe" by Yellowcard. Been listening to Yellowcard a lot lately. Good stuff.

No comments: