Monday, February 21, 2005

If you were stranded on a desert island...

If you knew you were going to be stranded on a desert island for six months, what would you take with you? (An adequate food supply, water purifiers, a basic first aid kit, shelter, and other basics being set aside for the moment)

A lot of people my age would say their Game Boy or their computer. Now, I sure wouldn't mind having my computer along, but where would I plug it in? My battery is broken so I have to keep it plugged in or it won't work. So, as that is out of the running, I'd bring a battery powered CD player and tons of batteries, and all my CDs. I can't stand not having any music floating across the airwaves. Then, I'd bring a couple of notebooks, pencils, and pens- writing and drawing are good ways to pass time. And, of course, I'd bring books. Lots of books. Reading for me is like breathing. I have to do it, and I love to do it! (Then why do I spend so much time blogging??)
But suppose the amount of books I could bring was limited to...say....five. Which ones would I bring?

First and foremost, my Bible. For one thing, it's sixty-six books in one. For another, those sixty-six books cover every genre there is, pretty much. Biography and history, of course. Poetry. Self-help. Romance. Adventure. Lots of good guys versus evil guys. Lots of military stuff. How could you not like it? Plus, it has the distinction of being the only book written by a perfect Author. You can't go wrong!
Then I guess I'd bring Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Omnibus edition. It has all five of his books in one. They're always hilarious reading, and make you think about some rather interesting subjects along the way.
Then probably Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind. A long book, so even a speed-reader like me has to take a while to get through it all. And it's exciting and complicated enough to re-read a couple of times.
Then Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World. Another long, complex book. It combines a history of philosophy with a mystery, so it's cool reading as well.
Finally, I'd bring along In His Steps by Charles Sheldon, or Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman- not sure which at the moment- but I love them both, because they are sweet, powerful stories that one could never get tired of reading.

If I had more books that I could bring, I would take J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, or Dee Henderson's O'Malley series, or Brother Andrew's biography, God's Smuggler, or Tamora Pierce's various Tortall books...argh! So many books, so little time!

No comments: