Sunday, May 24, 2009

Movie #9: Air Force One

"Get off my plane."
With those four words in the film Air Force One, Harrison Ford defined the ultimate in tough U.S. presidents. And the U.S. has never looked at negotiating in the same way since.
Sociopolitical implications aside, Air Force One is an incredible, gripping film. As a politico, I was told that this was one film that I absolutely was required to see, and I'm glad I took that advice. Well-acted, great plot, action (and the ensuing high body count), suspense... this movie had everything it takes to make an awesome action film. The actors did not disappoint any more than the plot did. Harrison Ford is great as President James Mitchell-- tough, smart, battle-hardened, but with a love for his family and his country that makes some scenes painful to watch. Gary Oldman is phenomenal (and more convincing than James Bond's poker face) as a terrorist zealot with little to lose in his attack on the president of the United States, and Glenn Close plays a great vice president back at the White House and under serious duress.
Air Force One literally had me on the edge of my seat from the first 10 minutes on, and I'm pretty sure I was barely breathing for the last 45 minutes. It was one of the best action (with an edge of politics) films that I've seen in a long time.

No comments: