Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Discipleship: Thought du Jour 3

The Power of Love (Part I)

Disciple Characteristic #1: Supreme and Incomparable Love for Christ

Supreme = the greatest possible
Incomparable = no comparison

I. Supreme Love

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matt. 10:37)

A true disciple's love for God overrules his love for anyone else.

II. Incomparable Love

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters- yes, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Does this verse really mean that I should hate my family and my own life?

The answer is an emphatic NO!!

According to 1 John 4:20-21, if you say you love God but hate your brother, then you are a liar.

If you put God first in all you do- love Him above everyone else- loving everyone else will come more naturally.

No comments: