Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Thought du Jour: Smile

A quote for the day:
You may be only one person in the world; but you may also mean the world to one person.

You know when you have a really bad day, and you feel like no one cares about you, and you feel that the whole world is just selfish? And then someone, a friend you didn't even know you had, comes up to you and asks if you are all right, if you want to talk, if there is anything they can do. That can alter someone's day drastically. Many is the time that I've had a bad morning, and then I'd get a smile from a friend, a cheerful hello, a joke told, that made me smile all day long.

Once, when I was sick, one of my friends figured it out, and took it upon himself to make me laugh and forget about how lousy I was feeling.

Another time I was having a really bad morning. You know, tests that I was stressed out about, didn't get to eat much breakfast, didn't get a great sleep, spilled cereal on my pants, that kind of thing. That kind of morning. Then, I was walking to my first class, and a friend in passing just kind of reached out and tickled me in the stomach. Totally unexpected, and made me feel so much better that I smiled the rest of the day, whenever I thought about it.

Those little things you do can alter a person's day, or sometimes even their life. Remember- the little things, like that special smile you have, make more of a difference than you will ever really know.

No comments: