Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Thought du Jour: For Good

From the musical Wicked
Music & Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

For Good

I’ve heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led to those
Who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return.
Well, I don’t know if I believe that’s true,
But I know I’m who I am today
Because I knew you…

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun.
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood.
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good…

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me is made of what I learned from you.
You’ll be with me like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end
I know that you’ve rewritten mine by being my friend…

Like a ship pulled off its mooring
By a wind off the sea.
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood.
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
But because I knew you…I have been changed for good.

And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness for the things I’ve done you blame me for
But then, I guess we know there’s blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore!

Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun.
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood.
Like a ship blown off its mooring by a wind off the sea.
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood.
Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better?
I do believe I’ve been changed for the better,
Because I knew you I have been changed for good.

No comments: