Friday, September 24, 2004

Thought du Jour: Friends

A quote for the day:
A true friend is one who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

I love getting my yearbook at the end of each school year. I love to see the pictures of what happened that year, seeing the pictures of my friends, and I especially love getting people to write in it. They always write wonderful memory messages. There are only two problems. One is the fact that I always have a hard time knowing what to say. It's so hard to put what you think into words, hard to express what they mean to you. The other problem is when these friends are leaving. When you know that you may never see them again, it's harder still to express your thoughts. So I offer this to them, from the song For Good by Stephen Schwartz:

It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part:
So much of me is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end, know that you've rewritten mine by being my friend.
Like a ship pulled off its mooring by a wind off the sea, like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
I do believe I have been changed for the better.
And because I knew you I have been changed for good.

No comments: